I am a Postal Assistant and work on Counter, though I may be new to post office it is very disheartening to see BSNL to be closed due to losses I don’t want same to happen to My postal Department and I don’t want to feel the same way BSNL employees are feeling. Our department is in loss and has a lot of potentials to be in Profit due to the vast reach and range of products. Request you to Consider following Suggestions, removing hurdles.
1. Customer Service: In this age of cut-throat competition, Corporate offer exciting offers to customers, customers are also ready extra for services. However, we all know in post offices, many staff shout at customers, deny services ignoring we get a salary from servicing customers only. Due to, poor service, customers are moving to other banks for small savings. And Such staff have no fear of complaints and action they say go and complain wherever you want to.
There should be escalation matrix and Toll-free no in all offices, so that customer knows where to make
The complaint should not be just resolved, but if the complaint is genuine action should be taken on the main cause or erring staff so that same is not repeated. Complaints data should be in employee performance judgement.
Offices should be given a score based on Feedback taken from Customers on SMS, many organisation use it, whenever customer visit post office for transaction in his account, mail booking, SMS can be sent to his Mobile to take feedback based on few parameters.
Each Circle, division should be ranked based on these parameters. Office timings should be cleared written along with complaint contact no. Many Offices are opened late, there is no biometric attendance, in many BO GDS doesn’t even go.
What we have a shop and customer comes to buy in bulk, we will be happy but instead, if a customer comes to book speed post more than 2-3 articles we shout at them and treat as an enemy. Why? there should be strict guideline for such cases also.
Ordinary postcards and postal cover are just burned by Postman and not delivered and they just want to complete beat and go home. There is no rule followed about working hours.
2. Expenditure: Lot of wastage on unnecessary activitiesPhilately: So many senior staff is posted in this department, Philately camps, My Stamp etc, however, truth is all Postal staff know that no customer is interested in my stamp, Targets are completed by staff by self-purchase, philately should not be closed but staff should be reduced , there should be no wastage on Philately mela etc.
Budget allocation: Recently I overheard, this head has so many funds, utilise it for tiles in bathroom, then somebody it was replaced last year only again it was decided to do it again to utilise budgets. The budget should not be allocated in such a way, the first requirement should be there, then as per guidelines amount can be used. The budget system is wastage. And persons using don’t know how to use it properly, nearly all So have the poor network and It infrastructure and budget is used for bag printing, Melas etc. In Melas etc Bussiness generated should be focussed and expenditur should be minimised. Sports Functions, why do our department need to spend lakhs of Tax payer’s money on organizing Volleyball, basketball competition etc. This is wastage of money.
3. Profitability Office wise and Office Infrastructure: Circle level, division level and post office level Profitability report should be released and all staff should know where there office stand. Lots of SO are located nearby say 1-1.5 km, and there are many single-handed SO, where customers are refused for aadhaar services, mail booking and IPPB services, due to staff shortage . And there are many So where there is no business and customer footfall is very low staff is sitting idle. Such So should be merged, distance norms between be strictly followed. SO should be idle where staff make aadhar, do IPPB transactions, have good Connectivity and Computers , Infrastructure such as AC etc based on Profitability . Presently there are many So where literally there is No work. So should be consolidated and 30-40 % So those who are very nearby to each other should be Merged .
4. Staff policiesAdministrative staff : Staff should be optimal and many administrative office staff is excess , such staff should be there for more productive use in Post offices.
Biometric attendance: In many So and BO staff comes very late, sometimes even doesn’t come, now all offices have biometric devices for aadhaar and IPPB, same can be used for biometric attendance at the computer and GDS attendance can be captured by Mobile devices. Similarly, Postman attendance can be captured on Mobile devices and delivery of articles to the customer can be recorded by GPS activity. Delivery should be online and customer sign should be taken on Smartphone itself. This will improve customer experience, reduce complaints.
Staff Action and Rewards: There is perception, even if you do fraud one can easily get away, action should be more strict but transparent . and System are not improved after the occurrence of such frauds, their cause should be identified and should be worked upon. Similarly, staff who have generated good business in terms of Bulk business, or who is good in Retail business and Customer service should be awarded. Password sharing is very common in spite of frauds, finacle login should be biometric-based to reduce frauds, many banks are using this.
Transfer: Many staff are sitting idle at the same locations for years irrespective of the rule of transfer, such exception should not be there. This lead not only to poor performance, frauds but also demotivation of other staff.
5. Projects like Aadhaar, Passport and IPPB: Nearly 95% of customers are refused for making aadhar card or Opening IPPB Accounts by Counters . Many senior staff including CPMG/DPS feel this is an extra burden and now our main work, however, it is good for us to justify our role , how we are serving customers . 90 % of staff think aadhar is a burden, 90 % of staff think IPPB a is threat to them and excess burden from directorate to a BO.
The issue is Insufficient staff to serve customers. As suggested earlier, Non-working So should be winded up and Complete staff should be there at good SO, where Aadhaar work is done a full day. Same goes for IPPB, nearly all new generation customers are moving away from post office as nobody wants to stand in line, just imagine even post office staff don’t want to stand in line to book movie tickets or railway tickets , why will on like to stand in queue for depositing into savings account , sukanya or PPF. don’t know why Many staff consider IPPB as a burden, it is future, digital transactions are customer demand, why auto taxi
6. Agent System: Agent system is good but has many flaws, nearly all staff earn a commission from agents. Which leads to staff preferring only commission based business and avoiding other work, retail customers are not attended properly .at few post offices agents distrust normal services and even don’t allow customers to directly interact with Customers. This issue should be addressed and NO Agents should be allowed to sit in Post office premises. Maximum Customers feel our department promotes Agent system like in driving license making etc as we earn bribe.
And Speaking of Bribes all knows maximum ASP/IP take bribe from GDS to resolve their cases, from outsiders etc. This also needs attention. 7 Marketing: These days people buy online, nearly all advertise online on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, why cant over department advertise online. Maximum common people think the post office is just for sending speed post, esp new generation people. They think the post office is just about long queues and
8. Technology: When world is using high tech technology, artificial intelligence, even smartphones are foldable, railways has modernised itself we are proud to say Darpan darpan, reality is we lost so many customers because these machines are usually down, don’t know the logic behind so costly machines when a Samsung tab having 1/10 price have more feature, HDFC bank uses such tab with printer, iris and finger scanner , any app can be installed on Android.
Our E-commerce portal is so outdated, looks like computer project of the 10th class student. Technology division,
1. What do they do, there is no letter this day 2. And SB counter is so arrogant shouts and have long queues and no network.
Respected Sir, I am hopeful my suggestions will be taken in a constructive way, these days there is a trend in all fresher PA to look for the better department by again giving SSC, all think post office will fail, but as a